It’s been a resolution of mine to become a morning person for a long time. Like not even joking I’ve been telling myself for years to do it and each morning I objectively fail at the challenge. Not that it’s a bad thing, I believe some people just naturally are not morning people. That being said, I think it’s possible to turn yourself into one if you come at the challenge with some concrete steps and a routine to wake up to. This year I am pushing myself to become a happy sunny person in the waking hours of the day. I’ll be honest in that so far, it hasn’t been super successful. Some mornings I’m good at getting up around 7am, and others I’m lucky if I make it out of bed by 7:45am.
Since I’ve been reading a lot about how to incorporate Ayurvedic principles into my life I started putting together my list of guidelines from this practice that involve morning routines. Man was I slightly perturbed to see that the recommendation is to wake up before the sun. *insert side eye here* But since I did just finish watching How I Met Your Mother, it felt kind of right to say “Challenge Accepted”. (: As it turns out, a lot of how you wake up in the morning has to do with how you sleep the night before. So my first step is to develop a good bedtime routine.
Here’s how I’m going into this ::
– Over the next few weeks I’ll be in bed before 10pm. This felt fair as I currently go to sleep around 11pm and I want to ease into my new routine.
– No screens after 930pm. This one might be the most challenging for me as I LOOOOVE scrolling through my Instagram feed right before bed.
– Drink some water before sleeping, not too much because I don’t want to get up in the middle of the night, but I’ve read a lot about how one of the reasons waking up in the morning can be hard is because your body becomes dehydrated overnight and keeping yourself as hydrated as possible while cleansing and restoring yourself.
– Stretch or go through my yoga flow.
– Use my essential oils, I’ve been really into Lavender Oil lately and it releases so much stress right before bed.
– Wake up between 630 – 7am. I know the sun is currently rising before 6, but I’m trying to ease into this y’all!
Looking at these steps objectively, I felt like these were great starting steps without going to extreme, and hopefully as the weeks go by I’ll start to notice a difference in my morning self.
I’ll be sharing my newfound morning routine in the next week once I figure out how these mornings are going, wish me luck!