How was your weekend? The weather has FINALLY started warming up here in the mpls – meaning I can walk outside without having to wear a jacket. Seriously something so small as one layer being taken off is so freeing.
Something that I started this past week is what I’m calling #40daysofwellness. I’m 9 days in and with 31 more days to go I’m feeling so good. One of my new year’s resolutions (YES! Did you already forget about your intentions for 2017??) was to prioritize wellness this year, and while there have been some week’s that I’ve been better about it than others, I think I’ve done pretty well so far. Giving myself this challenge was a way to kind of check in with the intention I set – reminding myself to make better food choices – like do you really need to eat a handful of candy that’s sitting out at the office?), exercising more – trying to either get to the gym or go to yoga 3 or 4 times a week, and getting better with my sleep schedule – yup, I’ve been in bed before 10pm almost every night and the mornings have definitely gotten easier as a result. Are you doing anything to prioritize wellness?
Another big focus area of mine has been to be better about breakfast. I’ve packed my breakfast to take to the office every.single.day for the past two months – and for someone who went through years of skipping breakfast entirely I think that’s pretty good. I’ve done everything from granola in a tub, chia pudding with fruits and almond butter, green smoothies in mason jars, and green or peppermint tea. It’s definitely been a wonderful way to start the day. And because I’m also someone who tires of routine easily, I’ve had to experiment with different options. This week, I tried a brown rice breakfast bowl. It’s like oatmeal, just with brown rice which I personally think is texturally better and more filling. Toss it in a pot with some delicious milks and warm spices, and top with all your faves. It’s really one of those non-recipe recipes. Do with it as you please and make it your own! Here’s to another wonderful week and be sure to share your fave on-the-go breakfasts with me (I need all the inspiration I can get!)!
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 2 - 2 1/4 cup water
- 1 13 oz can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 heaping tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- rinse the rice and add to a stove top pot. add the water and milks to the pot and turn the heat up to a medium.
- stir in the vanilla and spices and bring the rice up to a boil - turn the heat down to a medium low and cover the pot - let cook for 60 - 70 minutes stirring occasionally until it reaches a thick oatmeal-like consistency.
- if the rice is thickening too quickly, add an additional 1/4 cup of water. cook until the rice is soft but still holds its shape. turn off the heat.
- if storing overnight, let rice cool to room temp before storing in fridge, reheating when needed. if serving now, add the warm rice to a serving bowl and add desired toppings. enjoy!